The earliest know resident photographer in Seguin was E.K. Sturdevant. Some of his best works were photos of Guadalupe, Bexar and Wilson Counties. Other Early photographers included Serdinko, Rice and Hickson. Most of their studios were located in the first few blocks of North Austin Street.
Halm, a prolific photographer, established his studio in the early 1910s and then sold the studio to Eberhard around 1920 who then sold it in 1932 to Mr. and Mrs. Willie Weiss.
For many of these photographers, the exact location of their studios is lost. The dates they operated or what happened to their collections of photo’s and negative’s remains a mystery. The Museum has been able to collect a few of their photos in hopes of better understanding Seguin’s photographic past.
Eugenio (E.K.) Strudevant was a photographer in San Antonio, Texas. He is famous for his photographic images of Geronimo and his Apache band and also the Alamo. He was active in San Antonio from 1885 to1888. His studio was located at 19 West Houston from 1885-1886, and then at 10 East Houston from 1887-1888. He had a location in Seguin in the early 1890s at his “Sunny South” studio, which was located on Austin Street. From 1893-1894 he had a studio in Galveston, Texas, on Tremont and Avenue H.
A. Conrad was one of the earliest photographers from Seguin. His studio was in operation from 1895 to 1904.
W. T. Walker
S. Serdinko had a studio between Nolte’s and Blank’s Store on South Austin Street.
Title: Vivroux Hardware Store Float, In front of the store on South Austin St.
Baker may have been an apprentice or business partner of Hickson.
For information about photo reproduction and research, click here.
ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THE SEGUIN-GUADALUPE COUNTY HERITAGE MUSEUM, INC.