The Seguin-Guadalupe County Heritage Museum is dedicated to its collection of, and preservation and conservation of historical materials representative of the South Central Texas Region. This includes but is not limited to the areas of business, religious denominations, the arts and sciences, education, technology, agriculture and other institutions which have contributed to the history of this region.
The Heritage Museum is housed in the former Red and White Grocery Store owned by the Baenziger family of Seguin,Texas. Mr. Henry Troell constructed the red brick building in 1898 on the north-west corner of North River Street and East Gonzales Street. It is a two-story structure with a balcony facing River Street.
Originally, the building was a series of small businesses on the ground floor such as a haberdashery, furniture store, and clerical business. Upstairs served as the Kempenstein Opera House for many years.
In 1932, Otto Baenziger bought the building that became the Red and White Grocery Store. Otto’s son, Harold, and his family’s small beginnings in the building, expanded until the first floor was a fully operational grocery store. The Baenziger family moved to another location in 1952 and leased the building to S&H Greenstamps, Strom’s Black Belt Academy, and several other enterprises.
In 1992, the Baenziger family offered to donate the building to a private group if it would convert the building into a museum.
Thanks to the 1996-1997 Seguin Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class great inroads were made in preparing the Museum for its “soft opening” during the 1997 Christmas period. The false ceilings were removed and the Victorian era pressed tin ceilings were once again exposed and several layers of linoleum tiles were removed from the pine floors. The walls had several layers of plaster removed and once again, the original Seguin bricks were revealed for the public’s enjoyment.
The “soft opening” was a modest event. It lasted throughout the Christmas season. The Museum was well enough received that it has not shut its doors since. In April 1998, the Museum had its official opening when it was selected for the Seguin Area Chamber of Commerce’s monthly Mixer. Over one hundred Chamber members attended the celebration and the Heritage Museum was well on its way to becoming a cultural attraction for not only Seguin, but, as experience has now shown, for visitors from truly all over the United States and the world.